Saturday, 23 April 2016

BurdaStyle 8/15 124a Ponte Top with 3/4 sleeves

I've been wanting to make this top for a while now, but over summer I wanted to concentrate on lighter weight clothes.  Now we are into autumn I finally got around to making it.

This is the magazine photo and description:
124b-082015-b_large
This form-fitting shirt is for experienced seamstresses who enjoy a challenge and possibly puzzles because all parts must fit together exactly right. It’s a structured top and much more than just your average “long sleeve shirt” as you can easily dress it up with a pleated skirt.

It is also available in a dress length.

I got some ponte from Spotlight to make this.  It needed .8m x 147cm of each colour.  It has an invisible zip in the back.  It took careful sewing to ensure the colour blocks were carefully matched and no material got puckered when doing the corners.  I'm pretty pleased with how mine turned out.




Today is my mothers 80th birthday.  I wore this top with the straight black skirt above when we went out for lunch.  It feels really smart.

I wouldn't mind making this again in different colours.

Tuesday, 12 April 2016

Narrow Pleated Skirt in corduroy

I've had some corduroy in my stash for almost a year.  It was on the special table at Spotlight and cost  just $10 for 2 metres, though it was just 112cm wide.

The pattern I had in mind was this from the 2/2015 issue of BurdaStyle magazine
Юбка с запахом и встречными складками

I patiently traced out all of the pattern, laid the pattern out on the fabric - and I was about 20cm short on fabric.  So back to the magazines.  This time I found #107 in the 10/2015 issue

107-102015-b_large

It is described as :This skirt pattern is a nice piece to be made with a wool material for colder weather. It has narrows pleats, a front zipper and small slit.

Not included in the description are side pockets and a faux flap pocket on the back.

This skirt had a lot of challenges for me.  My first skirt vent, my first fly zipper.  The back has a faux flap pocket, again a first for me.  BurdaStyle instructions assume you know how to do things, so I spent a lot of time looking at various YouTube videos on how to do skirt vents and fly zippers.  Once I understood them, the BurdaStyle instructions made sense.  However the faux flap pocket had me stumped.  I couldn't  find any tutorials to help, so ended up doing it my own way.  The skirt pockets and inside the flap are lined.  I used some remanant lining I had left over after lining my linen jacket..  It is a lavender colour so goes nicely with the grey corduroy.

Here is my finished skirt.



I had cut the waistband about 1inch longer than the pattern called for thinking I could trim it if it was too long.  If anything it was a touch too short.  Next time I'll add about 3 inches to it.  I blind stitched the hem for a smooth finish.  I like the waistband, it is cut quite broad and doubled over, so with the interfacing it is very firm.

 I am really happy with this.  It is a lovely casual skirt.  I met a friend for lunch yesterday and wore this.  I'd like to make a one in denim and another in a heavy cotton.

Tuesday, 5 April 2016

BurdaStyle magazine November 2015

 I finished this top from the November issue.  This is the magazine photo and info:
109a-112015-b-burda-style-bluse-naehen_325x433-id364457-7782c961bb0467079eb67cd585c35bc9_thumb
This sweet blouse in a printed silk features little bows that are tied at each of the sleeve hems. It features a round crew-neck with a slight keyhole cutout that is cinched with a loop and knob.

The description is a bit misleading as it is a bit more than a slight keyhole cutout.  I found that keyhole was way too low, below my bra line so I ended up hand stitching 4 inches closed.  The loop and knob is a loop and button closure.  I was very happy with the button.  I had just this one navy and pink button in my button box and it perfectly matched the navy background and pink fabric.



Apart from the low neckline I like the top.  It is gathered at both front and back neckline which gives quite a pretty effect.  I made this in viscose from SmartDress fabrics in Mt Albert, Auckland.  I had 1.4 metres at 150cm wide and I needed all of the fabric.  Total cost was $13.93.