5 January 2019

A personal word on 2018 and first make of 2019

I don't normally go into personal stuff here, preferring to keep this blog for my crafting.  However 2018 was a very difficult year for me personally and I think it would be wrong to pretend otherwise.

The worst thing was in March I lost my beloved mother.
Xmas Day 2017 at The Brigham


 She had an assortment of illnesses, including an abdominal aortic anuerysm.  The aneurysm should have been operated on 2 1/2 years earlier, however with her other health issues the surgeon felt it was too risky, something we both agreed with.  He gave her anything up to 5 years, so I was lucky to have her for another 2 1/2 years.

Dealing with her loss was difficult and also at the same time I had her house to prepare for sale, which meant clearing out all of her things.  I kept a few special mementos, including my great grandmothers tea set and some of her wedding presents from 1959.  Other things were given to relatives and friends the rest went to charities and auction.  I also had the house professionally cleaned.  There were decisions to be made, such as do I rent or sell, get new carpets and decorate, etc.  However I decided to sell it and leave it as it was and see what comments came from people coming through the open home.  If not having it decorated was putting off people then would be the time to get it done.  However I had a buyer for the house after a month on the market.  This was a relief as it was for sale in winter, traditionally a slow time, plus reports in the paper said the Auckland market was the slowest it had been for 9 years.  Other neighbours had houses for sale before I put hers on the market and had been for sale for months.

Happier times.  Family event in the 70's. Dad is in foreground, Mam in background, with Grandma next to her

During this time my dear cat Maxie was continuing to fight her battle with cancer but was steadily getting worse.


 I tried changing her to a raw food diet, with advice from a vet, but of course in the end it was a losing battle.  I had to make the very hard decision to put her to sleep in August.

On top of all this, another very good friend lost her mother in April, and another very good friend ended up having a triple heart bypass in April.

Sandy has now become no. 1 cat.  He was really my Mum's cat, spending most of his time with her.  When I was selling the house I was worried if he would settle at mine as he kept going back there.  However he has settled in very well.  Particularly since Maxie went he has decided he enjoys cuddles on my knee, something he has never done before.


Anyway, enough of 2018 and on to 2019 which can only be better.
Apropos of absolutely nothing, just cause it's pretty.  Pohutukawa in blossom at local park


I've already finished my first make.  Another True Bias Southport dress.  This time I:

  • Raised the back neck
  • Made facings
  • Lowered the dart 1"
  • Eliminated the front buttonholes and cut front piece as one on the fold.  There is plenty of room for getting on and off so buttons aren't needed.


This is made from linen from SmartDress fabrics.  It is quite sheer, so needs a slip underneath it - you can see the outline of my slip here.  Because of this, I think it will be around the house only.  It's very hot here today, so is getting worn around the house today.





No comments:

Post a Comment