26 May 2020

Pandemic level 2, a knitted hat, sewn capelet and a shirt and haul

We've now been on level 2 for 2 weeks.  Restrictions have eased further, with gyms reopening, shops open again but practicing physical distancing.  Our confirmed and probable cases have only risen slightly since my last post and are now 1503, deaths have risen by 1 to 21.  Over the last 2 weeks we have only recorded another 2 or 3 confirmed cases.   We find out on 22 June if we can move to level 1.

I went out on the weekend for a friends 60th birthday and inadvertently attended a wedding.  A wedding was being held at the restaurant.  It was a lovely and simple wedding.  It was a Maori wedding and a lot of traditional aspects were followed which was lovely.

I'm now back at the gym, but needing to get back into it gradually as my fitness has really dropped off over the last few weeks.

On to what I've been making.

I made the Itch to Stitch Cape Cod capelet.


It was an easy sew.  It took me around  1 1/2 hours, done entirely on the overlocker and coverstitch. However I think I picked the wrong fabric for it.  The fabric works but it is a very lightweight wool, only suitable for wearing in summer and not sure I'd want to wear a capelet in summer.  A heavier fabric would have been more suitable for a winter and autumn/spring capelet.

I also made the Grainline Archer shirt




This is a very popular pattern amongst sewists.  So when Grainline had a sale I bought the pattern.  I can see why it is so popular.  It comes together beautifully, instructions are easy to follow.  It is a classic shirt, with yoke, and back pleat, stand up collar and plackets and cuffs at sleeves.  I made this in a stretch poplin that I've had in my stash.  This took me around 8 hours which I think is pretty good for a shirt.  The only alteration I made was to leave off the pockets on the front.  I think next time I should shorten the sleeves by 1 inch as they are a bit too long, very unusual problem for me!

I also had another knitting finish.  The antler toque pattern by Tincan knits, a free pattern on Ravelry.



To be honest, I have never worn a hat in Auckland in the 39 years I've lived here.  It just isn't cold enough in winter.  But I might be encouraged to wear a me-made hat.  I enjoyed knitting this and it only took about 6 days to knit, doing other things as well as the hat.  I even bought a fur pom pom to finish it off.

Cross stitch is still progressing and I finished a rotation on His Eye is on the Sparrow.


As soon as we went into level 2 and were able to go into shops I had to visit Ribbon Rose.  It was the busiest I've ever seen it.  I made a good haul

Lots of yarn, new circular needles, interchangeable needles and stitch markers.



4 ply Ashford MacKenzie 100% Merino, colour Sangria, to knit Flax Lite by Tincan knits.  free pattern on Ravelry

Opal Butterfly sock yarn, self patterning. 75%wool, 25% nylon. For Vanilla Latte socks, free pattern on Ravelry




Rowan 100%wool, colour Gold. Used for the Antler Toque hat

 Zauberball colour Tonspur, for Vanilla Latte socks.






No comments:

Post a Comment