22 December 2018

True Bias Southport

For summer I wanted a dress similar to my TNT Itch to Stitch Anza dresses but with a tank top style.  The True Bias Southport dress fit the bill and is a very popular make on Pattern Review.  I bought the pattern when it was on sale in the Black Friday sales.
Image of SOUTHPORT DRESS (PDF)The Southport dress is a tank style dress designed to be worn as a coverup at the beach or a dress for around town. It has a button opening at center front and a drawstring waist with inseam pockets. View A hits 20” from the waist. View B is maxi length and hits 42” from the waist and includes a center front slit.

  My version:


This is made from a linen/rayon from Backstreet Bargains.  I ordered it over the internet and it was a lot more sheer than I expected it to be.  I thought with it being linen it would be fairly heavy and I bought it with the intention of making a SewOverIt Vintage shirtdress.  However it was too lightweight and drapy for that.  I bought 3m x 147cm and have enough left over to make a Chalk & Notch Fringe top.

Alterations made to the pattern were:
Lengthen bodice by 2"
Lengthen skirt by 6"

Next time I want to
Lower bust dart apex 1"
Raise neck front and back 1"
Create facings for neck.

The pattern finishes the neck and armholes with bias binding.  I prefer the look of a faced neck.so next time will make facings.

I think the bodice could easily be lengthened to make a tank shirt.  I have some broderie anglaise that I can't decide what to make and that would be perfect for a summer tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment