23 September 2019

Hvar jacket and revised cross stitching rotation plan, helpful thread planner

I made the Hvar jacket from Itch to Stitch



I had some wool fabric in my stash that I had bought from a Hospice shop for just $3.  However after I had cut it all out I realised that the collar needed to have 2 pieces cut on the fold, I only had enough fabric for 1.  I was very disappointed thinking I couldn't make the jacket, so went and bought some more fabric to make another jacket.  Once I cut out the pieces for the other jacket I had enough left over for another collar piece.  Hey presto, my wool jacket with contrasting collar.

This is a really smart jacket and is incredibly quick to sew, it just took me around 3 1/2 hours.  The front pieces come to a point which is perfect for concealing my rounded tummy.

On to cross stitch.  After further pondering, I decided I'd rather pick my rotations more randomly.  So I downloaded a roulette spinning wheel app, loaded up the patterns I have kitted up, and almost kitted up.  I still want to concentrate on doing Old Friends so the plan is:


  • Do a 10 day rotation, minimum of 2000 stitches, from 1 - 10th of month, 11th - 20th, and 21st to end of month.
  • Spin the wheel for each rotation.  Old Friends is on the wheel twice to increase the chances of its being picked.  If however it picks 2 rotations of the same project and I haven't done Old Friends since I last did that other project, then I will substitute with Old Friends.


So October starts next week.  Here is my first spin.




So the first spin in my rotation goes to At the Steps.
At The Steps

This is a Heaven and Earth Design, and the artist is Leonid Afremov.  Design size is 450 x 544, which gives a total of 244,800 stitches.  This will be my largest piece ever.   There are 89 colours.

I have the threads sorted, but still need fabric.  I've been experimenting with different count fabrics.  I used to like stitching on 22ct Hardanger, but my eyes aren't as good now.  I tried 1 over 1 on 25 count and I can see OK if I wear magnifying lenses but find I'm just not enjoying the experience.  So I am going to stick with 18ct Aida that I am using in Ornament Witching Hour.  For the record, I am using 16 ct on Old Friends.

As Haed give thread requirements for 25 ct fabric, someone posted this helpful conversion on facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment