2 September 2019

New cross stitch start and a rotation plan for the future

I'm keen to start a rotation of cross stitch projects like I used to do.  In part this is being driven by seeing other stitchers with a huge amount of WIP's. I don't want to get as many as some other people I've seen with 30 WIP's, I think 4 or 5 will do me. 

As I've only had one in progress it will take me a while to assemble necessary fabric and threads and get a proper WIP rotation going.

However I've made a start by beginning  HAED Ornament Witching Hour.  I posted a picture of what it will look like in my last post.  Here is my start.



This is all of DMC 310 done on the first page.  You'll see some loose threads.  I tried the waste knot technique for finishing off, but decided I didn't like it and went back to the pin stitch method.  These waste knots still need to be worked in before I can cut them off.

And this is where I left off QS Old Friends

You can see the outline of the man.  So next rotation he will appear.

I have another project that I'm interested in.  This time by a different designer and something different from what I usually do. 
The Templar Prophecy

This is The Templar Prophecy by Long Dog Samplers.  I'm thinking of stitching this in silk from Silks4U.  Isn't this a gorgeous colour


A lot of floss is needed for Templars, and I would need 2 skeins. However 2 skeins would be enough for Templars and also Castles in the Air
Castles In The Air

So onto future rotation plans.  There are so many ways to do this and a lot of people do it randomly, just doing whatever they feel like, or perhaps spinning a wheel to decide.  But I like a bit more structure to what I am doing and want to make a bit of progress on everything.  I also like to have a focus piece so I know I am going to finish something in a reasonable time frame.

The plan I am thinking is to stitch my focus piece which I'll call WIP 1, then, WIP 2, back to WIP 1, then WIP3, back to WIP 1, WIP 4, back to WIP 1.

But how frequently?  I've gone back and forth and at the moment I am thinking of doing a 10 day rotation, for a minimum of 2000 stitches.   What this means is, if after 10 days I've done 2000 stitches or more, move onto the next rotation. If after 10 days I haven't done 2000 stitches I continue on until the stitches are done.
The plan for adding to the rotations are:

WIP 1  QS Old Friends
WIP 2  Ornament Witching Hour
WIP 3 Templars Prophecy
WIP 4  At the Steps

Witching Hour won't take too long to finish, so when that is done I will swap out with Ornament Healing Rose.

At the moment though, I want to get a month in on Witching Hour.  I may not start this rotation until the end of the year, or beginning of next year.

The thing to remember is this is my hobby, so I shouldn't pressure myself, it should be enjoyable.  So if I find another process that I prefer then I will change.

No comments:

Post a Comment