I've had some more finishes since my last post. I made this tissue holder for my mother. The back is embroidered with an R for her initial.
The colour in the photo looks grey, but is actually a pale green.
I finished the remaining 2 panels for the 5 sided box. Wild strawberry
And clematis and bee. The bee was tricky to stitch as was stitched onto wired petals.
I was worried after all the stitching the assembly of the box wouldn't work out. However it was pretty easy to put together. The pieces of embroidery were mounted on cardboard (cereal packets), inner lining also mounted on cardboard then an outer and inner piece whip stitched together. These were then sewn down the side seams, before the last side seam was sewn they were sewn to the base, then the final side sewn. While the stitching on the sides wasn't too bad it definitely needed something to tidy it up, so I glued ric-rac down the side seams. I was disappointed with the top, as I mounted the top embroidery on an inner piece made from the lining fabric. This lining fabric just didn't look right with the rest of the outer box, so I added ricrac around the embroidery to conceal the lining fabric.
If anyone is interested in more information, I got the idea from Janet Grangers blog
A further update on HAED cross stitch Mini Intermission. Page 6 completed.
I bought a cheap "lucky dip" packet from my local fabric store. It had lots of wonderful material and a huge piece of purple polka dots. Luckily purple is my favourite colour. As I'm setting up a craft room I'm using this purple fabric to decorate with. I made this cute little owl and pincushion jar. She has a little yellow apron on in front with pockets for storing sewing bits and bobs. I stitched the wings together to create extra storage space. She now sits on my sewing desk holding pens, scissors, etc. I made a pincushion on top of an old coffee jar, trimmed with matching purple ribbon.
The pattern for the owl is here
I also made a sewing machine cover. The front has an embellished picture that I found on the internet and printed. A frame was made using a silver fabric covered in silver sequins from my mothers sewing box. Its been in there for as long as I can remember. I added a few silk ribbon flowers and a piece of green tulle in the top left corner.
The reverse of the sewing machine cover has an appliqued sewing machine in contrasting green fabric. When sewing this on I've sewn across the top horizontal part of the sewing machine but left the top open so it can be used as a pocket. The side panels are in the same green fabric. The applique design is available here
I had an old corkboard. To brighten it up I painted the frame in yellow and glued some of the polka dot fabric to it. I added a trim of a thin purple ribbon. I'm very pleased with it, it definitely brightens the room, instead of the drab old corkboard. I forgot to take a photo. Maybe next time.