As I'm trying to stretch myself and learn new techniques, the first was a dress from Simplicity 1699. The new techniques were princess seams and inserting a zipper. While I've inserted zippers into bags and purses, I've not done it in dressmaking.
Colette Sorbetto which is a free design.
I will make this dress again. Next time I will lengthen it as its a bit on the short side for me and I'll use something with a slight stretch in it like a cotton sateen.
My next task was to make something with a lining. Again using Simplicity 1699 I made the jacket.
In an online class at Craftsy the tutor said to interface linen to stop it creasing. Thinking that was a good idea, I cut out the pieces and then fused interfacing to it. Disaster! When fusing the interfacing, even though I pressed rather than ironed, it distorted the fabric. The two front pieces in particular were baaaad. When I put the pattern against them, in some places it was off by as much as 2 inches. The back wasn't too bad, and the sleeves were a bit distorted but again not too bad. Fortunately I had just enough fabric left over to re cut the front pieces. This time I fused the interfacing before cutting out the pattern. However I did notice that the grainline was altered significantly. While it looks reasonable, the proof will be when I come to wear it. As the grainline was off so much on the front and sleeves the jacket may end up twisting when I wear it.
Apart from the interfacing disaster, it sewed up very quickly and the lining was very easy to do.
I'll definitely do this jacket again, but probably not in a linen. Or if I use linen, I won't interface it.
I finished page 20 of Spirit of Winter by Heaven and Earth designs
I can see the end in sight now as I'm about to start the last row. After 5 years on her, only around another 6 months to go.