Tuesday, 23 May 2017

Owl applique

Just a very quick post to show off this gorgeous Owl.  Design from Kreative Kiwi.  My sewing room seems to be developing an owl theme, so I made him to go on my wall.


Wednesday, 17 May 2017

Machine embroidery gifts for Xmas 2016

Well I was sure I had posted this, but I went looking for the post to remind myself what I had made for Xmas gifts last year and couldn't find anything.  So, better late than never.

Bookmark corner and notepad holder.  The notepad holder has magnets on the back so can go on a fridge door, of course I included a notepad!  I made a few of the notepad holders with other embroidery designs, but it looks as though I forgot to take photos.
Candy cane holders.  again I made a lot of these, but this is the only photo.


Keyfobs, made a lot more, no photos - getting the story, not enough photos.,  Reminder to self, do better this year!

My first FSL attempt.  A lace bowl I gave to Mam.
 Another view of the same bowl.  That is my hand embroidered crazy quilted tea cosy behind it.
FSL ornaments.  I kept these for myself.


I've made a start on this years gifts, but I have so many ideas, the hardest thing is deciding what to do and what not to do.

Sunday, 14 May 2017

BurdaStyle december 2016 #111 Bell sleeve tunic

Another BurdaStyle finish.  This is from the December issue and is pretty up to date fashion for me, with the band across the neck and the flared sleeves.


The neck band was way too big.  I ended up putting in 2 2" darts at the shoulders to take it in by 4".  I made a size 42 and graded out to the hips to size 44.  I probably didn't need to do this as it is not as close fitting as implied by the magazine photo.

Fabric is one I've had in my stash for a while, from SmartDress fabrics.  It is more red than shows in the photos.  I have enough left over for another Maria Denmark kimono T shirt, though I may need to colour block it.

The V neck is a bit low for my liking, probably fine for most people.  I intend to add a small piece of fabric under that V so it doesn't show as much skin.  As there is a facing I should be able to sew it direct to the facing.

Another top I'm happy with.

Daffodil quilt progress and other Machine Embroidery

With one thing and another I haven't done much on my daffodil quilt for the last few weeks.  I got around to having another session and got row 3 completed.  18 blocks now done.


Close up of blocks


Yesterday was Mothers Day.  I made my Mum this Heirloom Rose Tissue Box cover from Stitch Delight.
I also bought her a fleecy blanket and put some of the daffodil embroidery in one corner.
And for my embroidery machine I made a quilted cover.

Monday, 8 May 2017

BurdaStyle 10/16 111 Trousers

I've been wanting a smart pair of woven trousers.  I got some gabardine from Spotlights specials table in an aubergine colour that was crying out for trousers.  I settled on BurdaStyle 10/16 #111.




I'm hoping to get a blueprint so I have some go-to woven trousers, similar to my StyleArc Barb pants for stretch fabric.  I first made a muslin.  RTW pants are always to big across the waist for me if they fit at the hips, so I knew I would probably need to make an adjustment for that.   The pants have welt pockets which I have never made before, so I also wanted to practice those.  After making the muslin I discovered I needed to reduce at the waist by 1/2" on front and back pieces, tapering back to the side seam 3" below the top of the pattern piece.  There are already darts on the pattern, so that eliminates back gaping.  I also felt the welt pockets were in an uncomfortable place.  They were too far forward - towards the tummy and too low down.  None of the photos in the magazine actually show the welt pockets, the top part of the pants are all covered by tops.   I moved the welts 1/2"closer to the side seam and 1/2" higher.  Even though I am 5'9" and Burda design for 5'7" I found the pants too long.  and ended up shortening the length by 2 1/5" and sewing at 1" instead of the 1 5/8" recommended, so effectively shortened by 2"

Once I was satisfied with the muslin I went ahead and made the pants.  However I found once I'd made them they were too tight across the back buttocks and under the groin.  The muslin were fine, so not sure what happened.  I ended up letting out part of the crotch seam to 1/4" seam allowance.  Next time I make these I will try a crotch adjustment as shown in the video by Professor Pincushion.  The waist is also a wee bit snug, so I may need to let this out by 1/4".

Here is a close up of the welt pocket.  I also really like the deep, shaped waistband and the belt loops - another first.

On the whole I am really happy with these pants.  I just have to hope I don't split them when I sit down!