Saturday, 31 January 2015

January update

Another month is over.

I've tried my skills at sewing clothes for the first time making a skirt and top which turned out very well.  No photos yet.

I've also been doing an online beginners crazy quilt course with Kathy Shaw.  She is an incredible tutor providing lots of information with very clear instructions.   I finished the course yesterday and I'm looking forward to doing the intermediate courses she runs.  The next one opens for registration on 26 Feb.  This is the beginners block:



 
 
 
I also managed to start and finish a crazy quilt drawstring bag.  This was a kit that I bought at the craft fair in Hamilton in August.  The kit is by Helen Dafter.  I was a bit disappointed with the kit as there was a list of contents and I was missing quite a few.  Also the material to make the bag was meant to be cut to 30 cm high, but the material provided was only 28 cms.  However I did enjoy doing it and I am pleased with the way it has turned out.   There are 4 external pockets, each of which are crazy quilted.  It had chatelaine accessories that are meant to be attached to the pockets with ribbon. However  I felt it would be a nuisance if every time I wanted the scissors I either had to undo ribbon or pull the entire bag over to the project, so I just made a needlecase and thimble pip which slip inside the pockets.  I already have a scissor fob so didn't need to do another one.
 
I'm using this bag to keep supplies for whatever crazy quilt piece I'm working on.




 
 
I also finished another page of Spirit of Winter.  I'm now up to page 17.  As other projects are taking over from cross stitch, I'm going to concentrate on this one this year and hopefully I'll be able to finish by the end of the year.


Friday, 9 January 2015

January crazy quilting

For Xmas I was given some toiletries in a snowman shaped tin.  I thought the tin was an ideal shape to make into a matryoshka doll.  I wanted the embroidery to give the fabric a textured feel so for most of the pieces I used thread in a similar colour to the fabric.

The face took me about 3 attempts to embroider.  I did it on felt and then appliqued it.  Once embroidered I then mounted it on a piece of card, glued some lace around the top of the tin so the lace covers the sides of the tin and then glued the card to the top of the tin.

I'm using this to store my buttons.  It stands up nicely, just like a doll should.




I've also finished my January block for CQJP.  My them is the seasons, 4 blocks for each will be made into cushion covers.  This is spring.  It has a Hardanger centre, this was a freebie from the spring biscornu on the victoriasampler website

At the top right is a beaded daffodil.  I did the beaded flower on felt and then appliqued it to the block.  The leaf is filled with chain stitch and surrounded by coral stitch.


At the bottom sits a stumpwork spring rabbit in a basket and to his right is a bunch of tulips.


At the left is a fat bumblebee.  At the top left corner is black rick rack with interwoven chain stitch in gold on top.  In the corner is a needlewoven wheel in red and gold.



Below is a close up of the lace on the bottom right.  At the far right is black lace overlaid with red lace.  The photo doesn't show it very well but along the edge of the 2 laces is alternating chain stitch done in both black and red thread