Friday, 9 January 2015

January crazy quilting

For Xmas I was given some toiletries in a snowman shaped tin.  I thought the tin was an ideal shape to make into a matryoshka doll.  I wanted the embroidery to give the fabric a textured feel so for most of the pieces I used thread in a similar colour to the fabric.

The face took me about 3 attempts to embroider.  I did it on felt and then appliqued it.  Once embroidered I then mounted it on a piece of card, glued some lace around the top of the tin so the lace covers the sides of the tin and then glued the card to the top of the tin.

I'm using this to store my buttons.  It stands up nicely, just like a doll should.




I've also finished my January block for CQJP.  My them is the seasons, 4 blocks for each will be made into cushion covers.  This is spring.  It has a Hardanger centre, this was a freebie from the spring biscornu on the victoriasampler website

At the top right is a beaded daffodil.  I did the beaded flower on felt and then appliqued it to the block.  The leaf is filled with chain stitch and surrounded by coral stitch.


At the bottom sits a stumpwork spring rabbit in a basket and to his right is a bunch of tulips.


At the left is a fat bumblebee.  At the top left corner is black rick rack with interwoven chain stitch in gold on top.  In the corner is a needlewoven wheel in red and gold.



Below is a close up of the lace on the bottom right.  At the far right is black lace overlaid with red lace.  The photo doesn't show it very well but along the edge of the 2 laces is alternating chain stitch done in both black and red thread

No comments:

Post a Comment