Saturday, 25 July 2015

CQJP2015 April block completed

After spraining my hand in April I wasn't able to do any embroidery for a few months.  I'm now working to catch up on the CQJP2015 challenge.
I've completed the April block which has a winter theme.
April block

Detail of the beaded snowman. This was made using the trapunto method, then beaded, then appliqued to the block.  This was my first attempt at trapunto and I was pleased with how he turned out.

Each of the 4 blocks features a Hardanger piece.  The Hardanger on this block was placed on top of a piece of lace to give a lace border, then beaded chain stitch around the edge of the Hardanger with a silk ribbon poinsettia flower.
While we don't get snow in Auckland, a winter theme has to feature snowflakes:


The first 4 blocks of the CQJP challenge are completed and I've made them into a cushion cover.
The 4 blocks are joined with feather stitch and feather stitch also joins the outside border with the blocks, there is a central lace motif to bring the pieces together.


Now on to my May block.  


Monday, 13 July 2015

TAST - take a stitch Tuesday

Sharon Boggon of pintangle.com has started a new TAST challenge.  Every week a new stitch is discussed with how to do it, and examples of it used in embroidery/crazy quilting.  See the TAST badge at the right and click on it to go to the pintangle web page for more info.

I discovered Pintangle last year, but by then the previous TAST was finished.  The instructions were still on the website and I found them very helpful in learning new stitches.

I'm happy to be taking part in the TAST.  Where possible I'll use the stitches on CQ blocks. 

The first stitch is the very versatile fly stitch.  Here I have done it as snowflakes and leaves on a winter themed CQ block.

Sunday, 5 July 2015

June Update

 


 

 
 

This is the reason I haven't posted for the last few months.  I sprained a thumb ligament.  I was pulling a bolt of fabric out and twisted my hand, pulling the thumb backwards.  I was in a cast for 10 weeks, and now into week 4 of 6 weeks physio. Until the last couple of weeks holding a needle was just too painful, so no needlework or sewing - sigh! Thankfully it is all healing well now and I am able to do a bit of needlework and sewing, though I need to be careful not to overdo it.







I only needed around another 6 hours to finish this piece of Jacobean embroidery.  I finally got this done last week.  This is Just Jacobean from the book Crewel Twists by Hazel Blomkamp.

 
Close up of blue flower


close up of pink flower


Purple flower



The instructions were easy to follow and it was a joy to stitch this.  I made it into the front panel of a messenger bag.


Front of bag showing pocket under flap


Interior pockets



The bag has an adjustable strap and a magnetic snap closure on the front flap.  Underneath the flap is a pocket.  Inside there are 4 pockets plus a zip pocket.  I like bags with lots of pockets.


I realised I've done a fair amount of dressmaking since I started around 9 months ago, but haven't posted very much.  Here is a catch up.

KwikSew 3670.  The second top I made.  The front is lower than I'd like and I need to wear a camisole under it, but it's still a nice design.












Simplicity 2147.  The fabric was a beautiful red broderie anglaise I found hidden away on a bottom shelf at Spotlight. Unfortunately the back is really big and baggy, though the belt does bring it in.  Since making this I discovered the website PatternReview.com, and found reviews that said the same thing about the back.  I now check reviews on this website before committing to a pattern.














 Simplicity 1716.  What can I say, I love, love, love this pattern. The one on the left I made this from a beautiful purple ponte knit from  The Fabric Store. The one in blue as a beautiful fabric from Centrepoint for a ridiculous $5 metre. For the purple top I wasn't so keen on the cap sleeves, a bit frou frou for me.  However I love the way this top drapes.  It has pleats at the shoulder and the armscye which make it fall beautifully over the bust and the tummy, nicely concealing those tummy bulges.  I'll be sure to make more of these.  I have a pink fabric that I will use for a short-sleeved version.
 
 
 
 Simplicity 3568.  This was a brushed jersey from Spotlight.  I love the weight of the fabric for this top and the way the sleeves are wide at the cuffs and the split side seam.  If I make it again, which I probable will, I will change the neckline, as it is a bit too wide at the shoulders and too deep at the back.  I still wear it but usually with a t shirt underneath.  Just my personal preference as I think I have a skinny neck which is emphasised more if I show too much skin at the shoulders and back.





McCalls 6796.  This was a very simple jumper to make and very quick to sew.  The pattern has a beautiful scarf collar which I intended to make.  However I was about 10cm short of fabric on both so had to settle with the polo neck.  On the left is a blue merino fabric from The Fabric Store that was just $8metre.  However it must have a high nylon content, as when I pressed my first piece of sewing, at the shoulder seam, with the iron on a wool setting, the fabric melted.  Fortunately its just a small piece so hopefully no one else will notice.  I may try making a skivvy from this, but go a size smaller as these are both quite loose fitting.