Monday, 12 June 2017

Burdastyle embroidered sweatshirt and Jalie Jeans

I saw a top embroidered with Urban Threads Flight and Dark butterflies and knew I needed this for the sweatshirt I was planning on making.  The sweatshirt is BurdaStyle Feb  2016 #121  that I previously made last year.

I really like this sweatshirt, so when I saw some blue sweatshirt fabric on special at Spotlight I got that to make another sweatshirt.

For the embroidery I wanted it to appear that the butterflies were flying up over the back and up over one arm to meet the butterflies coming up the back. I also added a few to the front pocket.





I've also been keen to try making my own jeans.  I find shop bought ones are never comfortable as the fit is so poor.  Usually a tight crotch and a too loose waistband.  After looking at Pattern Review I decided to go with Jalie Womens stretch jeans 2908.  These are bootleg jeans.





I worked very hard to get the fit right so that I will have a go-to pair of jeans in future.

Adjustments I made were:

  • Added 1/4" to the front inseam to lengthen the front crotch curve.  Tutorial used was this by Closet Case patterns
  • Did a 1/2" low butt adjustment, using the same tutorial.
  • Made a contoured waistband using this tutorial
Learned the hard way that when you iron interfacing onto denim the denim shrinks.  After cutting my waistband it ended up shrinking 1/4" at each end.   To solve that I ironed a piece of interfacing onto uncut denim, and then cut out the waistband.

I meant to add 1" to the length but I forgot.  They are just long enough though I had to make just a 1/2" hem.

I added rivets to the pockets.  I also embroidered the back pockets before attaching to the jeans.  As you can see one pocket has the butterflies on it.  The other has a Boutique Blooms design, again from Urban Threads.  I have a larger design from the Boutique Blooms and plan on making a denim jacket with this embroidered on it.  So the jeans will match both my sweatshirt and denim jacket.

For all of the steps I followed the Closet case patterns ginger jeans sewalong.   I also made a lined waistband, rather than faced with denim as discussed in the Closet Case.  I'm pretty pleased how that looks.  I need to take a photo and show it.  My topstitching isn't showing in the photos, so I will try getting some more photos with close up details.

The pattern calls for denim with 20% stretch.  I'm not sure my denim stretched that much.  My jeans are pretty tight fitting and I'm wondering if I should have gone up a size.  However they are stretch denim so  I will try wearing for a while and see if they stretch out.

No comments:

Post a Comment