Friday, 9 February 2018

More lingerie adventures

Continuing my journey on learning lingerie making I've made my first slip.

This is the Ruby Slip and is a free pattern from Pattern Scissors Cloth.

I added a bow and beads after taking the photo above.



The main fabric is a peach stretch satin.  It has a chocolate and cream lace on the bodice and a chocolate lace on the skirt.  The skirt is finished with a shell tuck hem.  The side seams and seam attaching skirt to bodice are all french seams.  It has rouleaux straps.

This took me ages to do.  I've made complicated dresses in a shorter time than this, but I really enjoyed making it.

I changed the pattern slightly.  The original has all lace bodice.  I wanted lace trim only at the top of the cups.  Their website describes how to change from an all lace bodice to the lace trim.  I'm not sure if I didn't follow their instructions on how to change it, or if the instructions need a bit of tweaking.  I found that the front overlap was huge.  I ended up chopping off about 2 - 3 inches off the middle.  This meant my careful mirroring of the lace in front was all for nought.   I also had to put a couple of 1" darts in both of the lace side cups as they were gaping.  With the adjustments the bodice now fits well.  According to the size charts I should be a size 14 so made that, but find it a tad tight for a slip.  Next time I make it I will add 1/4" to all of the side seams.  It is also quite short,, falling just a few inches below my butt.  So next time, depending on the purpose I may lengthen it, or shorten it into a camisole.

Other changes I made were to add the lace inserts into the skirt and do a shell tuck hem.  For the straps I had some bra strap from an old camisole that I put on the back so I can adjust the length of straps if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment