23 December 2018

Year in Review part 2: 5 Sewing misses






I'm glad to say it is very hard to find 5 misses for this year.  Last years review helped me realise what I should not be making - colours/fabrics I won't feel comfortable wearing, making clothes I need in my wardrobe rather than I like that, I'll make it and  then never wear it.

This year the misses are:

This SewOverIt Heather Dress.  I love the dress, I love the ponte fabric.  However the fabric just hasn't stood up to washing and has pilled horribly.  It saw out the winter season, fast became suitable only for wearing around the house, and won't see another winter.   Plus having the dark side panels and the wide front panel just makes me look really hippy.  Next winter I'd like to make another one, but will probably make it all in one colour to avoid the hippy look.  And a fabric that hopefully doesn't pill




Next is the Itch to Stitch Sequoia cargo pants.


Again I love the pattern, love the drill fabric I made them in, love the pockets and the embroidery I did on them.  But I stuffed up.  I made a size 12.  I should have made size 10 waist and graded to 12 at hips.  The result was the waist was too big.   I thought as it had a ribbed  waistband  it would take care of my smaller waist.  Indeed I cut the ribbing at size 10.  No, that did not work, with the result the pants fall down.  I also really struggled getting snaps into the fabric.  The snaps at the waistband kept popping off.  Try as I might I could not get them to stay on.  So I decided to make a button closure.  However I somehow stuffed that up as well and got the buttonhole on the wrong side, so now they button up really weirdly.  So these just aren't comfortable to wear as they keep sliding down.

I want to make another pair next year, this time I'll grade down and replace snaps with buttons.

No 3 is StyleArc Airlie Pants.
Same story.  This time the pants have elastic in the waistband.  I'd had a recent weight gain so didn't want pants too tight so I made the elastic a little longer than usual.  Nope, should have kept it  the same.  These pants start falling down when I wear them.  I made them again and made the elastic my usual length and those ones fit perfectly.

NO 4 is the Colette Moneta dress. 
This is partly fabric choice but also partly the pattern.  Reviewers on PatternReview rave about this dress.  However for myself I'm not too keen on all the gathers in the skirt, for some reason it feels a bit 80's or too young for me.  Also the fabric I chose was a ponte and it is a bit too heavy.  I have however worn it on a couple of special occasions.  I had finished it the day before my mother passed, so wore it to her funeral, then a month later to my friends mothers funeral.  I won't be making this again.

No 5.  I really haven't got another.  Everything else I made is being worn and I'm happy.

The next review will be the stats, did I achieve my goals, and goals for 2019.


No comments:

Post a Comment