27 September 2020

Ochre Cardigan finish, pandemic level 2, MKAL, Yarn club

 Auckland remains at level 2, over the last week I think we had just 3 community cases.  So far our numbers are just under 1500 positive cases and 25 deaths.  Hopefully next week we will move to level 1.

I finished knitting my Ochre cardigan by Ambah O'Brien





It is supposed to be open with a large gap at the front, though that is a style I'm not used to and keep trying to pull it closed.  However this will be a nice cardigan to slip on in summer when it gets a bit chillier in the evenings.  I like the lace details at the hem and sleeves   It definitely needed blocking as I was worried it would be too small.  With blocking it fits fine, though I could really have gone up another size.  I've got over a skein of wool left over, so it took less than 2 skeins of Sweet Sixteen yarn by Kiwi-yarn-a.  Really love the colours and the merino is so soft.

The pattern was easy to follow. This is the first garment I've knit in the round and the instructions were very clear.

I've decided to join in on a Mystery Knit along.  I've often thought why would someone spend all that time knitting something not knowing what it's going to look like, but I have got quite excited at the thought of the Stephen West mystery knit along. We know its a shawl, but that is all.  His designs are all stunning, so I'm sure I wont' be disappointed.

 I signed up for it last week on Ravelry.  You receive an initial PDF saying what quantities of yarn are needed and suggestions for colours.  He also has Instagram videos talking about it and how the colours are to work together.  

This was an excuse to buy more yarn.  There is a shop I've been interested in looking at but hadn't been to before, so I made a trip to Loopine Yarns in Parnell.  There is a wide selection of different yarns, many from NZ dyers. I bought the following










The Vintage Indigo will be the main colour and is by Cascade Yarns, Heritage.  The teal and pink are Peacock Plume and Fascinator by Manos del Uruguay Fino and the peachy one is Jackson, High Twist Merino by Kiwi-yarn-a.

This was my colour inspiration, a photo taken in a dress shop.


The clues are released in parts, the first clue being on 9 October 6pm Amsterdam time, which will be the morning of 10 October in NZ.  Very excited to start this.

I also received my first Yarn club from Vintage Purls.





 The parcel had a bar of salted caramel fudge - delicious. 10 stitch markers on a ring and with 2 row markers, a skein of sports weight yarn called Byte - a sort of petrol blue colour and a pattern download for a hat to make with the yarn.  That was lovely to receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment