Friday, 18 December 2015

Burdastyle culottes and Maria Denmark Kirsten Kimono T

This week I decided to tackle some culottes from BurdaStyle 8/15 #131.  I had some blue broadcloth in my stash, I had 3 metres at 112cm wide.  The pattern calls for 1.75m at 150cm.  At 112cm wide I would have need 2.75 metres, so I have a bit left over, enough to try colour blocking on something, yet to be decided.  This was from Spotlight and was just $11.38.  The culottes have an invisible zip at the side, pockets, and elastic waist at the back.
 
 Picture from Burdastyle. Description: Culottes are beautifully casual, are super-comfortable and make the calves look slimmer.
 
 
 
My version
When making these I needed to go and get some invisible zips and elastic.  Of course I couldn't resist looking at fabric.  So I got some blue and green cabbage roses knit fabric for jut $6 from Geoffs Emporium and made this Maria Denmark Kirsten Kimono T.  I made a mistake when cutting this out.  The pattern is for front and back to be cut on the fold.  I had only bought 1 metre and didn't have enough for both on the fold, so had to cut 2 pieces for the back.  I carefully marked the centre back seam allowance on the fabric, but then I cut against the pattern, no seam allowance added!  I used the overlocker to create a minimum seam allowance on this, but its a bit tighter than I would normally wear, also the fabric doesn't have a lot of stretch which adds to the tight fit.  However I am still pleased with it as it is such pretty fabric and makes a change from my usual plain t shirts.
 
 
And I thought the culottes would look fabulous in a rayon, so got this for $25 from Spotlight.  They really do look good in the rayon, there are pleats at the front which fall much better than the broadcloth.  A problem I always have with RTW is the waistband is always too big, I felt that slightly with the broadcloth culottes, even though they have elastic in the back.  When making these I decided to add a couple of darts to the back. the darts were 1/2 inch at widest and 4 inches long.  I reduced the waistband and elastic by 1 inch.  I felt very daring as this is the first time I've added darts to a pattern that didn't ask for them.  The darts have helped with the fit in the back, and got rid of the puckery fabric. 
 
 
 
I love these culottes.  I'm already wearing the broadcloth and they are so comfortable.  I'm going out to a friends place for a Xmas lunch tomorrow so will wear the rayon ones with my new Maria Denmark T shirt.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment