The magazine description says: Dress with short sleeves and tie belt. Dress in pastel floral fabric is utterly enchanting with its mini-sleeves and boat neckline. Elastic, stretched from the inside and sewn on at the waist, ensures that it sits perfectly. Over it the tie belt is tied in a blow. The wide band on the hem means that it falls nicely.
Magazine description: Romantic folk-style blouse. The low V-neckline with loop fastening and pearl buttons make this striped blouse particularly attractive. The sleeves are puffy as they would be in a farm-girl blouse, while two gathered panels of fabric create a romantic look from the waist down.
This was quite time consuming. The first challenge was to change the pattern layout when cutting out the fabric. I wanted the stripes to run vertically, if I'd used the suggested cutting layout they would have lain horizontally. So I drew a line perpendicular to the grainline on the pattern pieces and used that to ensure it was still on the grain, but going in the direction I wanted. As there is no stretch whatsoever in the fabric I was able to get away with it.
Trying to figure out the instructions for that middle section, below the buttons, and above the bodice, was a nightmare. I couldn't figure out what they were trying to say at all, so in the end constructed it as I thought best. It calls for an inner and outer piece. I put them wrong sides together and then attached to the bodice. This means on the inside of the garment you see the right side of the fabric. I guess the double fold of fabric adds a bit more body to the blouse and gives almost a belt effect. The instructions I couldn't understand were: "baste lower edges of front and back units to upper edges of outer middle sections, right sides facing. Over this, lay inner middle section on bodice, with right side facing wrong side, and pin to upper edge." The funny thing is, now I've typed it out I think I understand it! I believe they mean the front and back units to be the upper bodice part, when sewing I was thinking the unit was the middle sections, so how you attached the upper middle section to the lower middle section made no sense. That is pretty much what I did anyway.
I'm pleased with my efforts on this. The button loops are my first effort at rouleau loops. Thanks goodness I bought a loop turning tool at a half price sale just a few days before making these, it certainly made it easier to turn the fabric. It also features a side zip, my first side zip in a blouse.
The low V neckline, is very low. I will need to wear a camisole under it to feel decent. Also the frill I feel finishes at an unfortunate area - right on the fullest part of the hips, so emphasises the hips. However with the work I've put into it and the fact it is rather gorgeous, despite its flaws, I will wear this.