Sunday, 20 March 2016

BurdaStyle shirt, testing Northumberland Star block quilt

My mother has been having trouble finding the style of shirt in shops that she likes.  She likes ones similar to my New Look Shirt that I blogged about here.  She takes a larger size than I do and the New Look pattern isn't large enough for her, so I scoured my BurdaStyle magazines to find a pattern I could use for her.  I found #129 in the 11/2015 edition that I thought I would be able to adapt to her tastes.  This is the magazine photo:
129-112015-b_large129-112015-b_large

There were a few changes I needed to make.  I didn't want long sleeves and instead of straight hems I wanted a curved hem.  I used my New Look pattern to redraft the bottom of the shirt and to change the sleeves.  Here is the completed shirt:

This shirt was fabric from Smart Dress Fabrics and cost $11 for 2.2m x 150cm

I have some more material to make her another shirt.  She has tried it on and it has turned out well, though next time I will make a narrow shoulder adjustment.

In my last post I mentioned I was interested in making a quilt using the Northumberland Star pattern. I've made up a couple of practice blocks to see how they turned out and to make sure I can do a decent job of it.  The one on the left was my first block and some of the joins are a bit out.  For the second one I followed a tip to use a scant 1/4 inch seam instead of a full 1/4 inch and it turned out much better.  I think I'll do another couple of blocks and turn these into a table runner.  If I'm still happy then a shopping trip will be needed to get fabric for a bed quilt. My favourite flowers are daffodils and I have a daffodil Maling plate on display on my dresser, so I'd love to find some daffodil fabric for the centre blocks.


No comments:

Post a Comment