Friday, 24 June 2016

3 tops: kwiksew 3678, BurdaStyle 11/15 112

I've made another 3 tops in the last 10 days.  Another sweatshirt jacket from Kwiksew 3678 and 2 shoulder zip jumpers from BurdaStyle 11/15 112

The sweatshirt is made from a husky steamed velour from Spotlight.  I needed 1.25m x 147cm wide.  the amount I actually had was 1.75m so a little bit left over.

I love the 2 jumpers.  The shoulder zip adds a bit of style.  I made size 42, graded to 44 at the hips, added 2" to the length and did a 1/2" narrow shoulder adjustment.
I'm particularly proud of my pattern matching on the black, red and green jumper.  It was a nightmare to pattern match as the stripe went in one long diagonal line from selvage to selvage.  I concentrated on getting the matching through the back centre seam and across the shoulders and top of sleeves, thinking these would be the most visible.  Due to the large pattern I couldn't manage to match those areas and the side seams.


The pattern calls for petersham ribbon.  The only colours I could find in this were black or white and I knew I wanted colours.  For the purple jumper I used a yellow grosgrain ribbon, and for the stripey jumper used a satin ribbon.

The instructions are presented in the magazine as a step by step sewing lesson so are easy to follow, though I don't think there was anything difficult anyway.  The instructions are to put stay tape on neck edges and the right front shoulder.  I did this for the purple jumper as it is a firm knit, but the striped fabric is very fine so I added stay tape to both front and back of both shoulders for stability, especially for the left shoulder as I wanted extra stability for the zip.

More photos of the purple jumper.  The colour doesn't show very well, it is a deep purple in real life.


I wore the striped jumper yesterday for lunch with friends and had compliments on it.  I like the fact that the neck is reasonably high, so keeps my neck warm, but not as high as a polo neck which I usually feel are too constricting.  I have a feeling this could be a favourite piece.

Fabric for both of these tops was from SmartDress fabrics in Mt Albert and I had 1.5m x 147cm of both and both cost $14.93.

I have some more wool in my stash so I will spend this afternoon looking through my magazines trying to decide whether to make another of these tops or try something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment