Sunday, 9 October 2016
Burdastyle Belted sheath dress 6/16 #105B
I made this belted sheath dress from June 2016 issue of Burdastyle
It's made from a linen look polyester blend from SmartDress fabrics. It only took 1.9metres of fabric. The photo doesn't show very clearly but it has a lot of pieces to it. It has princess seams and side back pieces and hip yokes. Here is the line drawing.
I didn't realise until I started that the belt is in fact not a real belt. It is caught into the side seams and then fastened to the front centre seam with rings.
I actually really love this belt as a design feature, It should be easy to adapt to other patterns.
I had to make quite a lot of adjustments to this pattern, unusual for me. I made a muslin and it was quite tight. I want it to be lose enough so I can comfortably wear a t shirt underneath. I added 3/8" to each side seam - a total of 3/8x4 = 1.5 inches bigger - quite a difference. I also added 3/8" to each centre back piece - 3/4" altogether. I could probably have got away with only adding 1/8" to the bodice sides as it is fairly loose under the arms.
The pattern photo shows is finishes just above the knees, I wanted it below the knees so I added 2" to the hem. For my long torso I also added 1" to the bodice.
As I'd lengthened it instead of using the recommended 7 buttons, I used 9.
I'm pleased I made the changes as this is now a comfortable fit.