15 February 2019

Faux Jumpsuit

When is a jumpsuit not a jumpsuit.  When it's 2 separates of course.


Shirt tucked in for a jumpsuit look.

Shirt out with a belt
Shirt loose over pants

Everyone is wearing jumpsuits these days.  But, let's be honest, they aren't the most convenient for toilet breaks.  So I bought 4 metres of a striped rayon to make pants and top.

The pants are Megan Nielsen Flint pants.    The Flints had been on my wanted list for a while after seeing lots of lovely makes on the internet and very favourable reviews from sewers.  Each month she has a different pattern on sale for that month.  In January it was the Flint pants, so I had to grab them.The pattern for these has them as 3/4 pants or shorts. 

The fastening is unusual, with 2 buttons at the side or a tie.  It has tucks at the front and darts at the back.  I found these lovely black and white striped buttons that went perfectly with the fabric.



I wanted full length palazzo style pants, so I added 6 inches to the length at the mark where the shorts are cut.  I really only needed to add 4 inches as I ended up turning the hem under 1/2" then another 2 1/2 inches.

These were really quick to sew, just taking 3 1/2 hours.  I made a straight size 16, but took 1" off the waist as my waist measurement was 1" smaller than the pattern.  These fit perfectly, no adjustments needed.



I love them and need to make more, this time sticking to the 3/4 length which I am seeing being worn now.  I have some black denim, so would like to try making them in that with a detachable bib - there is a free pattern and tutorial for this on the Megan Nielsen website.  I'm also thinking maybe a lightweight denim or chambray.

For the top, I had been itching to try lengthening the bodice on the Itch to Stitch Anza dress to shirt length.  Also the cuffs were fiddly to add to the bodice to make sleeves, so I wanted to eliminate the cuffs and extend the bodice to make the bodice and sleeves in one.  To lengthen the bodice I took the Itch to Stitch Bonn shirt and copied the front and back.  I love the curved hem on the Bonn and wanted the same on the Anza.

I'm very happy with how my new shirt pattern turned out.  I wanted a bit of contrast with the stripes, so instead of  running lengthwise, as I did with the pants,  I made the stripes horizontal and very carefully matched them- it worked perfectly.  Again these were a quick sew, just taking 3 1/2 hours.








No comments:

Post a Comment