18 January 2016

Burda Easy 01/14 Jacket

In the run up to Xmas Burda were putting up a special advent deal each day.  They offered this pattern free, it was originally in BurdaEasy 01/2014, 1c.
Блузон


It comes with welt pockets, as shown, patch pockets and a short sleeve version.  I used the long sleeve version with patch pockets.

 

 
This was my first attempt at  using corduroy.  Now corduroy should always be cut on the nap - all fabric pieces pointing in the same direction.  It is kind of like stroking a cat.  Stroke the cat one way and all their fur will lie in the same direction.  However if you stroke part of the cats back toward the tail, and part to the head it will lie in different directions and look different.  The same is true of materials like corduroy and velvet.  I had bought my corduroy on special and it was a fairly narrow width.  This meant I was just too short to cut all the pieces on the same nap.  However I was determined to use this fabric with this pattern regardless.  I had to place the front sleeve pieces the wrong way up.  I also accidentally (my fault entirely, nothing to do with fabric shortage), placed the pocket pieces the wrong way around.   However I think I will probably be the only one who notices the error, or possibly other sewers.

The pattern was simple to make. However I did have problems when I started.  The first thing to be made was the pockets.  I found the corduroy moved around so much it was difficult to line them up properly.  Even pinning they shifted.  So I switched to the walking foot on my sewing machine.  I'd say this is essential as this made things so much easier.

Here are some other views of it.
 
 

As it is unlined I wanted it reasonably attractive on the inside, so finished with a Hong Kong seam finish.  I made the bias binding from leftover rayon that was used to line my voile dress.


As I was making this I had to wonder about my timing.  It is the middle of summer and temperature in the high  20's with humidity in the 90 - 100%.  I won't be able to wear this for a few months.

Anyway, next to be made is a sleeveless shift dress that will be perfect for summer.

A special friend gave me a heart blackboard on the weekend.  It now hangs in my sewing room, with Tim Gunn's famous words for inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment