Saturday, 30 January 2016

BurdaStyle Easy 1/2014 1a Blouson jacket

After last weeks finish of the shift dress I wanted to remake this jacket that was done a couple of weeks ago in the corduroy fabric.  I used the left over fabric from the shift dress, using the cotton sateen for the front and back and the crepe for the sleeves.


I've seen this style in the shops done in lightweight fabric for a cool summer cover up.  As it has a quite heavy zip ideally I should have created a front facing to support it.  However I didn't have enough fabric for that, so instead I used an interfacing on the front panels instead.  As the crepe is very stretchy it wouldn't be any good for long sleeves as my elbows would soon stretch it out of shape, so I used view A for the short sleeves.  I lengthened the sleeves by about 1 1/2 inches.

I made a boo-boo on one of the sleeves.  The sleeves are in 2 pieces, a front side and a back side. As both sides of the crepe are the same, I managed to sew one sleeve wrong sides together instead of right sides together.  This meant when joining to the bodice the seam was on the outside of the garment.  By the time I'd discovered the mistake  I'd sewn the outer seam and the inner/underarm seam and overlocked them.  To unstitch I'd have to undo both my sewing and overlocking and then work with a very narrow seam allowance.  As the crepe is thin and stretchy I didn't think unstitching would be successful, I'd stretch and poke holes in the fabric.  So my other options were either to go shopping for more fabric to redo both sleeves, or to find some way to disguise the fact that the seam was on the outside.  I elected to go with disguising the seam.  I found some blue trim in my stash and sewed that to the outside of both sleeves.  I'm quite pleased with how that worked out.

 Overall this has worked out as a nice cool casual summer cover up.  Ideal for when the mornings and evenings cool down a bit.

More photos



No comments:

Post a Comment