21 September 2018

Cargo pants

Confession time.  I've never owned a pair of cargo pants.  When I saw the Sequoia pants by Itch to Stitch I knew it was time to rectify that.



These were made in a drill/canvas.

Those pockets just screamed "embroider me". I was restrained and didn't do the back pockets, just the side pockets.  This is a free design from Brother, did them as mirror images, so they both went the same way on the legs.
There are tabs inside the pant legs that can be used to gather the pants into this:

I haven't made a waistband like this before, rib knit on the top, with elastic inside it and fabric lower waistband.  The instructions said to check before sewing the final piece that it all aligns  - did I do that - no I did not!, so my waistband is a bit wonky.  However I'll wear tops outside this so it won't be noticed.  It also has a front fly zipper.
There are a total of 6 pockets, 4 of which have flaps closed with snaps, the band inside the pants fasten with snaps and the front fastens with snaps.  I hated those snaps.  They took me so long to try and fasten, even with a fancy schmancy special tool.  The first time I wore the pants when I undid the snap one of the snaps came apart, so I have now replaced the front opening with a couple of buttons.

I know Itch to Stitch patterns I am a size 10 waist and 12 hips, but for some reason I cut all my fabric at size 12 and didn't realise until I came to put the waistband on.  To try to accomodate the smaller size, I left the fabric waistband at size 12 but recut the rib and elastic to a size 10.  It is still a bit looser than it should be.  I also hemmed with a 1" hem instead of the 1 1/2" in the pattern.

Next time I need to:
Replace all those darned snaps with buttons
Redo the pattern from 10 waist to 12 hips.
Check the waistband meets before sewing final step

I am pleased with these pants.  With all the pockets and details they took a lot of sewing, but I would like to make them again as they make a nice smart pair of casual pants.  The pattern also comes with a shorts option so I may make some shorts.

No comments:

Post a Comment