30 September 2018

Pauline Alice Bailen Dress

I need a basic white slip for wearing under dresses.  The Pauline Alice Bailen dress fitted what I needed. What is more, it is a free pattern on their website.



Their description:
The Bailén pattern is cut on the bias, semi-fitted with front bust darts and with bias binding straps and bias binding finished seams at armholes and neckline. Easy to make and with two lengths, it can be worn as a dress or a top.

Now if I was to wear it as a dress it would need to have a t-shirt under it.  But as a slip or nightdress, perfect.  

I bought some white satin from Spotlight for this and made my own bias binding from the satin.



The seams are french seams so nice and clean looking inside.

I made a size 44 graded to 46 at waist and hips.  The fit is fine for a slip or nightdress that needs a bit of ease.  However it really gapes around the underarms and if made as a dress would need taking in a lot at the bust, I would need to re-do the pattern to a size 40 at underarm, graded to 44 at bust dart, graded to 46 at waist and hips.  

The next time I make this will probably again be for a slip or a camisole.  Changes I would want to make would be:


  • Change neckling to size 42 from underarm to the top of the bust dart - size 44 at bust dart, leave grading as already prepared so size 46 waist and hips.


As this is their free pattern it is meant to give confidence into their sizing, however with this I don't feel I'd have the confidence to buy from them given that the bust sizing is so way off.  If I were to buy I would definitely need to muslin first. As there are other indie designers that I am confident in the fit, I just don't think I could be bothered.

However I have got myself a nice slip and pattern I can use again for a slip or camisole.

Total sewing time was 3 hours and satin cost $10.50 for 1.5m x 150cm from Spotlight.  As it is cut on the bias the dress required the 150cm width - a narrower  width wouldn't be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment