13 November 2019

Sonata dress and Sans Souci start

I just finished the Sonata dress by Love Notions.



This dress has a high waist, elastic in the back and comes with sleeve choices of sleeveless, short, bishops and flutter.  I chose the flutter sleeve. It also has options to make it lined or unlined.  I underlined the skirt in a white rayon.

The in-seam pockets were unusual in that they were part of the skirt pattern pieces, not separate pattern pieces.  So you just sewed around the skirt and pocket piece then tucked them inside.

I made this in a digital printed cotton linen Hibiscus blue from Spotlight.  I lengthened the skirt by 2 inches. 

My thoughts.  I really like the dress pattern but thi9s is going to be a wearable around the house muslin only as:

I umm'ed and aah'd about whether to follow their construction of the pockets.  If it is so simple to just draw the pockets onto the skirt, why don't all designers do that?  Would it make the pockets not sit right by just tucking them in?  Yes, there is a reason all designers don't do this with pockets, they don't sit right tucked in.  I ended up adding bartacks to the pocket openings in an attempt to get them to lie correctly.  No matter how much pressing, they gape.

I wondered about altering the bust darts.  Should have.  They are too high and too long.

Even though I lengthened the skirt, it is still much too short.

Personal preference I prefer my back higher at the back of neck to keep the sun off.

So will I make this again.  Yes I will but first I will:


  • Lengthen the skirt another 2 inches
  • Raise the back of neck 1 inch
  • lower the bust dart 1 inch and shorten it by 1 inch
  • trace separate pattern pieces for the pockets and remove them from the skirt pattern pieces.
I'm already thinking what fabric to get.

I finished my first rotation on Sans Souci by Long Dog Samplers


Enjoying watching this one come to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment