30 May 2021

Woolfest, finishes, a start and wip update

 On Saturday we had Woolfest, the biggest yarnie event on New Zealands calendar.  It is held not far from me at Kumeu.  Last years event was cancelled due to Covid, so this year a lot of people had time to make up!  It was absolutely packed.  There were 4 sheds full of yarnie/fibre vendors with over 70 vendors.  There were lots of food trucks and coffee stands.

I spent around $340 and made quite a haul.


Clockwise from top left.  Place markers and cable needles.  4ply from Yeah Yeah yarn - possible for the Cragside shawl, though I wish I'd bought another skein so could make a top, but may make the stripey T shirt with it if I can find a complementary solid.  Undyed 4 ply in chocolate and white for Drops of Memory shawl.   Undyed 8 ply, was for Wild Flowers, but the next one shown I found after buying this is exactly what i had in mind.  So I may learn to dye yarn and use this.  Both the undyed were from Anna Gratton Ltd mills.  Fawn Merino and Alpace, natural, undyed have cast on Wild Flowers in this.  The last one was a lucky dip and is a bulky rainbow with sparkles.  I may make a Milo with this for baby Dotchin due in October.

On to finishes.

I finished my Soldotna.

I'm very happy with this, though I do wish I'd made it a bit longer.  I did 11 repeats of the body pattern.  The pattern itself is cropped and calls for 6 repeats so I did lengthen it already, but another pattern repeat or even 2 would have been better.  I'll probably make this again as it is a great way to use up left over yarn.  I wore this to Woolfest and got a lot of compliments - I also saw other people wearing Soldotnas.

I finished the Bubbles Down the Drain socks.


Happy with these, though I found the yarnover bind off to be a bit too loose.

On to new starts

I cast on a Milo for baby Dotchin in Cascades Melilla


Yesterday I cast on Wild Flowers shawl from 52 weeks of shawls.


and progress on the others

Habitation throw


Modular Inlay Wrap


I haven't any progress on the vanilla socks.

Last week I caught up with my friend Des, his wife Margaret and Janis at Howick Colonial Village.  It was a stunningly beautiful and warm day.  We had a lovely lunch and sat outside afterwards.







No comments:

Post a Comment