8 October 2018

Grocery bag

Supermarkets are going plastic bagless here.  I have bought some canvas bags but don't have quite enough if doing a big shop.   I bought some corduroy a few months ago that was intended to be a pinafore dress.  However when I pre-washed it the colours faded along crease lines. So I decided to use it to make another grocery bag.


The embroidered design is a freebie from Kreative Kiwi.


To make the bag I cut 2 panels 20" x 20".  To box the ends I cut out squares from 2 corners of each panel measuring 4 1/2" x 4 1/2".  I cut two pieces for handles 20" x 5".

Using 1/2' seams I sewed both side panels and the bottom seam.  I then pinched the cut out corners together, aligning the seams and sewed across them.  To reinforce the seams I finished on the overlocker.  I then pressed the seams and did wrong sides together sewed a 1/4" topstitch along the side seams and the bottom corners and bottom seam.  To make more of a boxed look, I pressed again along the boxed edges to create a crease and then did another 2 topstitched edges on both sides.

The top was turned under 1/2" and turned under again and hemmed. 

Handles were made by folding fabric in half, wrong sides together.  Opening it up then folding outside long edges in to the centre, then folding again in half to encase all raw edges.  They were then top stitched on both sides. 

To attach the handles to the bags I turned under the raw edges about 1' and attached so the raw edge was against the bag and sewed 1 1/4" in from the edge of the bag, sewing a box with a X in the centre to reinforce it.

No comments:

Post a Comment