16 October 2018

SewOverIt Vintage shirtdress

I finished my second Vintage Shirtdress from Sew Over It.



I bought the striped cotton sateen last year from Spotlight.  After buying it I didn't know what to do with it as I felt it was too much for an entire dress, but if I made a skirt, what sort of top would I wear with it.  This vintage shirtdress pattern easily allows different fabrics to be put together.  I bought this white cotton eyelet embroidered fabric from Backstreet Bargains and they are a great match.

I um'd and ah'd about the buttons.  Go with white, or make the top pop out with navy.  I decided on the navy - why be boring in my memade garments!

Changes I made to the pattern:
Lengthened the centre front bodice by 3/4", tapering away to nil at sides.  You  can see in the first dress that the waist seam rises at the centre front.  This alteration has prevented that happening.
Shortened the 3/4 length sleeves.  The pattern comes as sleeveless or 3/4 length.  I wanted short sleeves.

time to sew was 6 1/2 hours total cost $42;   $24 for cotton sateen and $18 for embroidered cotton.

1 comment: