27 November 2018

Black Friday shopping

I have a board on Pinterest of dressmaking patterns and embroidery designs I'm wanting to buy  Some on the board are really, really want and others are I like these, maybe.  With the Black Friday sales I managed to cross off my really, really want items and also get some of the maybe.

Dressmaking patterns I bought were:
Closet Case patterns, Kelly anorak and lining expansion pack.
Kelly Anorak // Jacket sewing pattern // Closet Case PatternsKelly Anorak // Jacket sewing pattern // Closet Case Patterns
I wanted this pattern so badly, I already had the fabric, lining and snaps to make it.
The fabric is Cavalier Gabardine in charcoal,  this fabric feels and looks beautiful.  It is from Spotlight.


Lining is viscose tartan from Backstreet Bargains


Next up in the really, really want, is the Stella coat from StyleArc
Stella Coat Sewing Pattern By Style Arc - Luxurious, versatile, easy to wear wrap coatAgain, I already had the fabric.  This is a beautiful textured wool in a pale grey with a slight lavender hue. From Morelands fabrics

Next up is the Itch to Stitch Danube denim skirt. 
Itch to Stitch Danube Jean Skirt PDF Sewing PatternItch to Stitch Danube Jean Skirt PDF Sewing Pattern Line Drawing This wasn't actually on my pinterest board.  However one day last week I was trying to decide what to wear and really wanted a denim skirt and don't have one.  I do already have some pinstriped denim that I could use, though I may use this for the next pattern I bought. This denim is non-stretch and from Backstreet Bargains.

So that denim could be used on the Danube skirt, or my next pattern buy, another StyleArc the Jodie pinafore.
Jodie Dress / Pinafore Sewing Pattern By Style Arc - Designer dress / pinafore with stylish hemline & side panels
The next dressmaking pattern was True Bias Southport dress.  This dress is very popular on Pattern Review.  I wanted something similar to the Anza dress but a bit more summery.  This can be made as regular length or maxi.
Image of SOUTHPORT DRESS (PDF)
I could use this rayon/linen blend from Backstreet Bargains

I also bought a pants pattern from Ohhh Lulu, the Grace hipster.
image 0
Even though I have TNT pants patterns they need to be made from stretch fabrics.  I wanted these pants as they use a combination of woven and stretch fabrics.  This will allow me to use pretty scraps in the pants.

So in total I bought 6 new patterns.  Probably only one, the Danube skirt, was an impulse buy, but then I had already identified the need in my wardrobe.

Spotlight didn't have a Black Friday sale, however I did get 2 $40 off vouchers when you spend more than $100 in store.  So I visited twice and spent just over $100 each time and got
First buy
box of 42 gutermann 100m threads and a 24" quilting ruler.
Second buy
box of 42 gutermann 100m threads and 14 Flat Fats


The Gutermann threads were already reduced from $90 to $60.  With the discount it means I got 84 threads for around $72, less than a dollar each.  Having the 2 of each colour will be very convenient when using my coverseam machine.  The Flat Fats worked out around 14 for around $24, so less than $2 each.

Previously, at the quilt show I visited at the beginning of November I had bought some 1m lengths of fabric that were on special.

I have a very healthy stash, however most of my colours are very dark/bright or patterned.  I don't have very many in muted colours/patterns.  
So what do I want  to make with these?  Well there are a couple of patterns from SweetPea, who sadly didn't have Black Friday sales.  So, to the patterns.  They are running a 10 month mystery block of the month.  I really like the first block so decided to take part.

I want a new lounge suites, so what a great opportunity to make new cushions.  I really like Sweet Peas biscornu cushion, so the 1m lengths are to make 4 biscornu cushions.

And there was one big, non-sewing Black Friday purchase.  This will be my Xmas present to myself.

The Breville Barista Express espresso machine.  This was over $500 off the usual price. There is a coffee roasters just 10 minutes from home so I got some freshly roasted coffee.  This machine is brilliant, just like cafe coffee.  In fact, I usually get mochas from cafes because sometimes coffee can be a bit bitter, but with this machine I'm happy to drink just coffee.  It took a bit of adjusting to get it correct, but now I am so happy with this.

So I had a very happy Black Friday.  I haven't checked my bank account since, too scared!!

No comments:

Post a Comment